Thursday, February 8, 2007

Albert Pujols Makes Me Want To Take A Nap

Albert Pujols officially became a US citizen today. Evidently fearing that becoming an American would automatically turn him into a giant Big Mac, he took off for spring training right after the ceremony in St. Louis. This ensures that he's in Florida a FULL WEEK before position players are required to report in. This means two things. First, he's not wasting any time getting focused on the upcoming season and honing his intensity. Secondly, if this is the bar to which Americans are supposed to be held, then I am a horribly lazy person.
Michael Leach at MLB.com writes,

"It's been a busy and momentous several months for Pujols. The Cardinals won the World Series in October, and shortly afterward he received his first Rawlings Gold Glove Award. In January he traveled to the Dominican on a humanitarian mission to help provide medical care and education for impoverished children in his home country. "
Do you think this man ever just wakes up in the morning and says, "Gee...I think I'll skip my ten mile jog today. And you know what? I lifted arms and chest on Tuesday. Screw it. In fact, I'm not watching any game film today. And I'm skipping Pilate's class, my French and violin lessons, lunch at the soup kitchen, horseback riding practice, tai chi practice, kama sutra practice, jury duty, rehearsals for my upcoming role in the Broadway musical Chicago, police academy training and my congressional committee meeting. Fuck it. I'm watching Saved By the Bell re-runs."

Yeah, I didn't think so.

No comments: